Thursday, February 5, 2009

The Mystery of Creativity

When I started working on my film "Woodstock Revisited," I had never picked up a video camera before.

I had never gone to film school. Never studied editing.

I had been a writer almost all of my adult life and had been writing music since the age of thirteen or so.

But nothing would have indicated a future as a filmmaker. The idea of the thing hadn't even crossed my mind.

Keith Richards states that he came up with the guitar riff for the song Satisfaction in his sleep, waking up in the middle of the night, recording the riff and the words "I can't get no satisfaction" on a cassette recorder and promptly falling back to sleep. He would later describe the tape as: "two minutes of 'Satisfaction' and 40 minutes of me snoring."

Or, as Bob Dylan recalls in this video from our series:

No comments:

Post a Comment